The current programme of events has been suspended until further notice due to the coronavirus situation. The new programme will be published on our events page when available.
Colchester Engineering Society was founded in 1944 and continues to promote engineering, science and technology in a town and district that has contributed to advances in engineering technology in many fields and has been the home of many famous engineering names. The society's current activities include regular programmes of winter lectures, summer visits, and other activities aimed at the promotion of knowledge about engineering achievements and skills. See our events page.
Membership of the society is open to anyone with an interest in engineering, science or technology.
It was a proud statement for many years that 'The World turns on Colchester Lathes'. Today the town is associated with the finest diesel engines, the very best fan engineering, and noise reduction techniques. The town is also home to companies manufacturing multi-purpose catamarans, water filtration equipment, toothpaste tubes as well as fabrication and machining companies.
Colchester is fortunate to have a two centres for further education, Colchester Institute and the University of Essex, both providing higher level technical courses.
While times have changed there are several places around the town where its engineering heritage is celebrated, from the Paxman crankshaft and history boards outside Colchester Town Station, to the Town to Port trail that leads from East Street to Colchester's former port at King Edward Quay.
For information the history of Paxman visit Richard Carr's history pages www.paxmanhistory.org.uk
History of the Society
At the First public meeting held in the Colchester Technical College, North Hill on 24 February 1944, Edward Paxman was installed as Founder President.
Each year the Society organised a winter session of works and other interesting visits. Subsequently the society has organised programmes of winter lectures and summer visits. A series of exhibitions was also arranged in 1945,1946,1947 and 1948 to illustrate the engineering prowess of the area and attracted much public attention.
To complement and extend the scope of the lectures and to attract a wider public audience, a decision was taken in 1966 to hold biennial lectures to be given on a popular subject with an engineering bias by eminent national lecturers. These lectures are named the Edward Paxman Lectures in memory of the Society's Founder President who died in March 1949. The first was given in 1967 by two times Formula 1 world champion Graham Hill.
Remap is an established national charity which provides one-off technical aids for people with disabilities, and the N E Essex Panel is always delighted to welcome new volunteers. If you are interested in being a volunteer with Remap more information can be found by visiting Remap Essex North